Saturday 5 February 2011

Day 23 – New life

From the diary of Vida Pankhurst

Fungi and Cruelty must be thrown back into the void. Only then can All become Nothing and He rule supreme.
The next day I met Pearl by the stables as planned. Overnight she had scribed a scroll of Raise Dead for us. I took this back to our camp where it seemed William had kept its occupants awake all night with his illusions and tricks. That is one of the reasons I bloody hate gnomes! It's hard to believe gnomes and dwarves are cousins....however bloody distant. My kinds are too bloody stuck up and bigoted, whilst gnomes are flippant little gits. Maybe the gods should burn the bloody lot of them and start again...or is that her influence that is making me think like that.
Haunting by these thoughts I set out to do as much as possible that she would not approve of...starting with bringing Joe back to life. I chanted the divine prayer upon the scroll and pleaded with the goddesses and gods of Oerth to release Joe's soul from their care and place it back in the vessel of his body. They headed my call and after putting on a bloody impressive light show, for the benefit of the beautiful Mae, Joe was brought back to life. Did he bloody thank me though!? Of course not! I could dance on the edge of the void for these bloody men and not get a modicum of gratitude from them. And what really takes the nugget is that Mae still went off with that dumb blond giant Taki anyway.
Still intent on doing some more bloody thankless good I set off into Nulb, taking the newly raise Joe with me. The others stayed behind with Fillian who was using his powers to identify some of the magical devices we had discovered in the temple. Joe and I went to the house of the cursed half-orc blacksmith that attacked Ugg last time we were here.
Now that morning I prayed to might Joramy to give me the spell needed to allow the half-orc to cast off the cursed sword that held him in its power.  I took Joe with me because he was of a more...well lets say chaotic persuasion than my other companions, and I reckoned the sword attacks those who aren't, like Ugg. This was a bit bloody risky though because if the Remove Curse didn't work the sword might make the weapon smith attacks us anyway. But no one deserves to be the slave of a dark power. Be they dwarf, half-orc or bloody monkey. No one!
So he answered his door and I wasted no time in casting the spell. To my intense relief he cast the blade away and it embedded itself in the roof of his smithy. Now the bloody dolt started thanking me a little too much for freeing him of this curse! How typical of man of his kind to think that the only reward a woman could want is his company in the bedchamber! I obviously declined and let the insult slide... after all he has been through quite a traumatic experience. I allowed him to fix the crossbow string on the magical crossbow I discovered previously and asked him how he came to possess the sword in the first bloody place.
It came as no big surprise to learn that an agent of the temple had given it to the poor creature. A wizard called Falrinth! I made a mental note to smash this man's teeth in should I encounter him on my travels! Back at camp Fillian had identified most the items we had pulled from the statues...three quarters of which turned out to be bloody cursed! My crossbow, however, is an enchanted heavy crossbow of Speed that I intend to put to good use!
Leaving the company of Taki, William and Mae we decided to sleep for the night in the tavern before going back to the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment