Saturday 5 February 2011

Day 22 – Day of the dead

From the diary of Vida Pankhurst
Existence is pure futility
We awoke and felt a lot bloody better and exited the caves. There were a few ways out of the circular grotto almost like the hands of a clock. We took a corridor that led us past an intersection. We followed the sound of running water and discovered another fountain. There was nothing to raid here so we proceeded to the east and came across a hall that was to be our doom.  I remember the initial bloody shock of seeing a small blue dragon perched in the chamber with a beholder, fire giant, medusa, mummy, ogre mage, wight and some sort of demon thing I’ve never bloody heard of with the head of a tiger. Thankfully they were all statues and so we entered and had a look around.
Each of the statues held an item of some sort. Including a box, scroll tube, spear, crossbow (missing a string), a deep black cloak, a staff, a ring and an urn. Fillian cast detect magic and revealed that they were all magical. So being the fools that we were we decided to nab one each; I went for the crossbow! Suddenly bright wisp –like creatures flew from the walls and one attacked each of us with bolts of electrical energy. The bloody things seemed impossible to hit with my war hammer and so I summoned my ring of blades again. Both Sameson and Joe were knocked out and so Fillian, Ugg and I were left battling the orb shaped creatures.
Two of them kept sapping at me and it was all I could do to stand within my ring of blades and call on the power of Joramy to heal myself. Finally they fell to the spinning blades and Fillian cast down the others with his wand of magic missiles. Quickly we healed the others and decided that since we had vanquished these guardians we deserved the treasure. First we gathered round the box which the blue dragon statue held. An odd bloody compulsion came over us to put our most powerful items within the box. I couldn’t stop myself putting Lareth’s phylactery inside. Then the box swallowed them all up and gave us a single gem like thing in return. At first I was miffed at losing the item but then it’s probably best to be rid of something sacred to Lltoth, no matter how useful it was.
The gem had the symbol of Obad-hai on it, so Sameson took it. The dragon statue had a place to put it into so Sameson did and out popped some sort of odd figurine of a badger. Seriously all that for a bloody toy badger!
Then I decided to take the crossbow and nothing bad happened to me. If only my companions had been so lucky. Poor Joe, may he rest in peace, took the medusa’s cloak and put it on. Only it was a poisoned cloak and he was struck dead where he stood. There was nothing we could for him but take his body back to Hommlet and hope they can resurrect him. Foolishly, the men decided to continue raiding the chamber first and Fillian set off a magical trap whilst liberating the staff from the mummy statue. He was struck completely blind!
Bloody marvellous! Now we have a blind mage and a dead thief. Not thinking we were in enough trouble Sameson took the urn from the wight and shook it. Toxic fumes burst out sickening us and causing us to enter coughing fits loud enough to wake the dead. Sure enough as the fumes cleared three figures stepped into the room….   
Luckily for us the gods seemed to favour us for it was none other than the beautiful Mae with two of her followers. One I recognized from the bar room brawl about a week ago...some tall blond haired other was a gnome magic user of some type. I bloody hate gnomes. They always seem to think they have an amazing sense of humour that can only be satisfied by playing asinine tricks on people. This gnome was no exception. Mae introduced him as Winolin and the other man as Taki.... Noticing our current plight they offered to take us back to either Nulb or Hommlet where we could seek out help. Remembering Pearl's offer of assistance some time ago we agreed upon Nulb.
I got lumbered with having to guide the bloody elf whilst Ugg picked up Joe's body. With Mae's help we made it out of the temple and back to Nulb. Ugg decided to wait in the woods with William, a blind Fillian and Joe's body: he didn't want to risk another fight with the cursed half-orc weapon smith you see. Sameson wanted to go speak to that bint mother Scareng, so I went looking for Pearl on my own. I found her in the tavern still disguised as a pole dancer to fool the bar keeper, who we now know recruits for the Temple of Elemental Evil.
I gave her what I hoped passed for a salacious wink to these pig men and she approached me and agreed to meet me in a room upstairs. In there I told her of Joe's passing and she agreed to help us this once if I met her by the stables the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment